Tips For Staying Safe On Instagram
A number of tools and resources to ensure that your Instagram account remains safe.
From advanced account security to comment tools, the famous network rounded up the top tips and tricks, both on and off Instagram, to keep your account and your community safe.
1. Use two-factor authentication to log in to Instagram safely
Two-factor authentication is a new security feature that helps safeguard your account by requiring something you know (your account username and password) and something you have (your mobile phone) every time you log into your Instagram account from an unknown device. Here are step-by-step the instructions.
2. Choose who sees your posts with a private account
By default, each Instagram account is visible to the entire community. Switching to a private account allows you to control who sees your content. With a private account, you can also remove followers without blocking them. Setting your account to private is not difficult – just navigate to the “Settings” gear and toggle “Private Account” to the “on” position.
3. Block anyone you don’t want to see your posts
Even if you don’t have a private account, you can still control who can find and follow you on Instagram by using the blocking tool. To block an account, navigate to that account’s profile, open the “…” menu in the upper right corner and tap “Block User.” The account user won’t receive a notification about your action.
4. Control the comments you want to see
It’s important to feel comfortable with the comments on your posts. Last year Instagram added the ability to filter comments based on chosen keywords or default keywords they have identified. Check out how to filter the comments here.
Furthermore, if you see a comment you don’t want on your post, you can delete it by swiping left and tapping the trash icon.
If you want to disable all comments on a post, tap “Advanced Settings” before you post, and toggle “Turn Off Commenting” to the “On” position.
5. Pick a strong password and keep it safe
- Choose a password that is difficult to guess by using a combination of at least 6 numbers, letters and symbols. Make sure it is unique.
- Don’t post or share your password with anyone you don’t trust (that includes any third-party app).
- When you share your phone with others, remember to log out of your Instagram account and do not check the “Remember Me” box.
6. Report any abuse, bullying, harassment or impersonation
- Report a comment, if you believe violates Instagram’s Community Guidelines, by swiping to the left and taping the arrow.
- To report a specific post or an account, tap the “…” menu and then “Report.”
- If you believe someone is impersonating you or someone you know on Instagram, fill out the form here.
7. Support someone in need
If you see someone posting content about suicide or self-injury and think immediate action needs to be taken, contact local law enforcement right away and reach out to your friend over the phone, over Direct message, or in person to check in. View more resources in the Instagram Help Center.
Stay safe and happy posting!