Explaining Acronyms in Business, FYEO!
Acronyms are being used by almost all of us daily, helping us create shorter but meaningful messages. So, let’s have a look.
In business, we use them so often, but are we sure that everyone is familiar with this vocabulary or do we often make a google search to find out what an acronym means?
Beginning with some of the most usual ones and introducing everyone to a much easier and faster way of chatting.
- ASAP (as soon as possible)
- BTW (by the way)
- DM (direct message) and PM (private message)
are only some examples of these acronyms that are impossible for anyone to don’t know!
Except for the most used, every industry has made its acronyms and initialisms. In business, generally, and in fields, like mkt (marketing!) or pr (public relations!), there are some very common acronyms in group chats and emails that help colleagues to communicate in a shorter way than they used in the past.
Below, you will find some more of them, starting with:
- the SMM (social media marketing), the SMO (social media optimization) & the SMP (social media platforms), like FB (Facebook), YT (Youtube), LI (LinkedIn) & TW (Twitter)
- one of the most famous events globally is TEDx. TED comes from ‘’Technology, Entertainment, Design’’
- CAPTCHA (completely automated public Turing test)
- CPC (cost per click)
And some more marketing specific, like:
- SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) & SOSTAC (Situation, Objectives, Strategy, Tactics, Action and Control) Analysis
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) & SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- KPI (Key Performance Indicator).
Acronyms often come along with initialisms. The same applies to business. People and groups of coworkers speak in that way, being comfortable with the working chatting lingo.
The morning starter pack usually includes chats with colleagues using ‘’FYI’’(for your information), ‘’ICYMI’’ (in case you missed it), ‘’CTA’’ (call to action) or if sth (something) is about teamwork or a deadline, it often comes by with ‘’TBD’’, which means ‘’to be determined’’ or ‘’to be done’’.
During the pandemic, the work chats are significantly more active as many employees WFH (work from home). Apart from all the above acronyms, there are some more that can be used in this working way to assist coworkers in contact with each other better! For example, when you need a break, you may send a ‘’BRB’’ (be right back) message, because of TMI (too much information) or if you are a new member at work, you think that ‘’TIL’’ (today I learned)… at the end of every day.
So, if you are already an acronym lover, you understand all the above at its best! But if you are not used to this yet, maybe tomorrow is the perfect day to try them and make your life at work easier and funnier.
But be careful! Don’t overdo it when you speak face-to-face with someone. This is something that astralón members strongly believe and try to avoid, because after all, we are still humans and haven’t become… The Daleks.